Managing your Business Communication Black Hole
Posted on October 28, 2015 by Luanne Paynick
I’ve heard about the black hole in outer space. It is defined on Wikipedia as a mathematically defined region of space time exhibiting such a strong gravitational pull that no particle or electromagnetic radiation can escape from it. In other words, what goes in never comes out. It is lost forever.
I have decided that there is a technology black hole – related specifically to communication, and even more specifically to e-mails. Maybe you have experienced it. See if any of the following sound familiar:
- You receive an e-mail that specifically asks for support, assistance, or an answer to a question, etc. You, being the responsive and responsible person you are, answer the e-mail. Then you wait, wait, and wait some more for a response – a thank you, a clarification of the question, another question. But. You. Get. Nothing.
- You reach out to someone you have not heard from in a while, to touch base, catch up and possibly meet for coffee or lunch. You wait for a response. Days go by. You try again, because based on your past interactions with this person you feel that you have a connection or a friendship. Still, you get nothing.
- So, you put your shoulders back and your chin up and reach out again. Sometimes, you get a response. Many times you do not. Then, a week or two later (or possibly a month, maybe more) they reach out to you. It might be to answer your e-mail, or it may just be because they need something from you.
What might help you manage this black hole? Here are some suggestions.
Make your e-mail easy to read.
- Use PREPO to write it.
Make it easy for the person to reply.
- Offer options for them to pick from.
- Ask yes or no questions.
- Let them know when you need your response by.
Be a good role model
- When someone sends you an e-mail respond within 24 hours.
- Respond, even if your response is . . . I need to think about it . . . I’ll get back to you . . . I’m not interested at the moment.
Image courtesy of pakorn at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
VoicePRO® delivers transformative leadership and communication programs for individuals and companies across the globe. Through VoicePRO®, professionals develop the advanced skills needed to communicate clearly, influence audiences and achieve results.
- Adapting Your Communication (12)
- Body Language (5)
- Burn Out (1)
- Burnout (1)
- Business Technology & Communication (2)
- Communication (16)
- Conducting Meetings (4)
- Conference Calls (1)
- Credibility (5)
- Executive Presence (13)
- Gaining Respect (9)
- Influencing (3)
- Interpersonal Skills (2)
- Keeping Your Cool (8)
- Leadership (14)
- Listening (4)
- Non-verbal Communication (1)
- Positivity (3)
- Presentation Skills (11)
- Promotion (5)
- Public Speaking (6)
- Remote Communication (1)
- Speaking Up (2)
- Storytelling (5)
- Strategic Messaging (2)
- Uncategorized (53)
- Using Powerpoint (3)